The most common mistakes when brushing your teeth

Do you brush your teeth correctly?

Although it may seem like a simple task, it really is not. And is that most people make frequent mistakes that reduce the benefits of brushing and can even cause some injuries.

Correct brushing only removes 60% of bacterial plaque. Therefore, experts recommend eliminating the remaining 40% with an interdental cleaning (flossing or interdental brushes). Also, it is important that in our daily brushing we do not make any of the following mistakes:

  • Brush less time than recommended. We should brush our teeth after every meal for two-three minutes.
  • Brush with too much force. Brushing too hard can cause damage to our teeth and gums.
  • Perform incorrect brushing. Correct brushing consists of a vertical sweeping stroke from gum to tooth (from top to bottom on upper teeth and from bottom to top on bottom). It is as important to brush the inside as the outside. To make sure you’re doing it right, brush yourself by looking in the mirror.
  • Do not clean or dry the toothbrush. After use, it is advisable to clean it with water and let it dry.
  • Do not choose the right brush for our mouth. Although today we can find a variety of brushes, we must be careful when choosing the size that best suits our mouth. It is also important to choose it with soft or medium hard bristles and avoid hard and rigid bristles.

Do not change brush every 3 months?

  • We also have to change it if before 3 months the brush is in poor condition.
  • Use too abrasive a toothpaste.
  • Brush your teeth after eating acids. Acidic beverages and foods (such as soft drinks or juices) have negative effects on our enamel. However, saliva, under normal conditions, neutralizes its effect. Therefore, it is important not to brush your teeth just after you ingest them. It is recommended to let at least half go before brushing.

Also, experts also recommend using floss in each brushing, as it allows access to areas that are inaccessible to a normal brush. Instead of floss, you can also use an interdental brush. Another mistake we habitually make is not brushing our tongue. And is that if we do not properly remove bacteria from the mouth that are on the tongue, they can move to the teeth and implants, in addition to causing halitosis.